Sunday, December 29, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats

I recently came up on a huge stash of bananas from Harvest STL and since I'm on vacation from school for a bit I figured I'd find any use for them I could.  



  
 First stop... Dog treats!

(Test Dooogs Sonni & River Await)
After searching the good ol' Pinterest for a while I finally found a recipe that didn't require anything out of the ordinary in it. I don't keep wheat flour or flax seed in my kitchen on a regular basis. (I can feel the glare from health ridden faces burning into my soul even over the internet. Judge away- I do what I can.) 

Found a great recipe thanks to Sophie in the Kitchen and they turned out GREAT!


Ingredients:
1 Egg
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used creamy)
2 ripe bananas
1 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

 Supplies:
stand or hand mixer
parchment paper (or something to grease pan) 
 baking sheet
cooling rack


Preheat Oven 300 degrees F. 

Parchment paper your baking sheet.

Add egg, peanut butter, honey, & bananas to stand mixer & mix. 

Continue mixing:

Slowly add flour (until mixed well) then add oats and cinnamon.



I rolled them into cylinders and flattened them with my fingers. I pushed the ends in to make them into bone shapes! This recipe yielded just under a dozen 2" wide 1/4" thick bones.


 It's perfectly fine to spoon them onto the pan or make smaller bones if you wanted more out of the batch.

Bake at 300 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until the bottom is starting to brown just a bit. They will firm up but the tops wont change color much.

Cool on rack. 


The dogs LOVED them. I want to make another batch right away but I only had honey sticks (which I killed off) to create this batch. I'll have to run to the store for more because I can't wait to share treats with friends and family!


In case I missed something, here's a link to the original posting.
Thanks again Sophia.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment